Sunday, December 23, 2007

Down Syndrom Advocate Bumper Sticker Fiasco

Today I was almost late to work. I got on the interstate and got stuck behind a car with one of those "cause" ribbon stickers. (You know, buy a sticker that looks like a ribbon and we'll spend that money on fixing something or other.)

Unlike the usual cancer or heart disease stickers, this one was for Down Syndrome. While that in itself is perfectly fine, I couldn't help but notice it was only HALF a sticker. Instead of a full ribbon, it was only half. Was that suppose to be some kind of sick joke? Some kind of "your missing a chromosome" joke? I was disgusted. But I couldn't stop myself for giggling. I know, its wrong, but still. Because I don't have a camera, here is a picture I photo shopped (with GIMP) simulating what I saw:
Anyway, it ends up that when I was looking up info on the sticker (so I could make the image you see above), I found the REAL sticker. It seems like the left side of the ribbon is suppose to be DNA or something weird like that.

Unfortunately, if the sticker is put on a darker colored car, the DNA almost completely disappears from a distance. The distance, say, between two cars on the interstate. Poor design choice.

~jw

P.S. This is not a jab at anyone with Down Syndrome. Those guys are cool. This sticker, on the other hand, is not.
P.P.S. If you like my photo shopping skillz, thanks. Send me a compliment in the comments!
P.P.P.S. I also would like to point out that I realize that Down Syndrome is caused by an EXTRA chromosome and not by missing one.
P.P.P.P.S. If you would like to buy a Down Syndrome sticker and have a white car, click here!