Friday, December 21, 2007

An open response to a Bible thumper

So, today I was deleting my old notes off of Facebook when i came across a note I posted about a year ago. As a southern Christian, I was really offended by a dude giving a "hell and brim fire" speech at my college. Anyway, I gave him my own speech. I posted a copy of the story below. I'm not trying to impose my religion on anyone or anything, but its more of an effort to clarify what it is I believe.
Earlier this afternoon (3/7/07), I took my Bible, wrote down some verses, took my Megaphone, and delivered a little speech to Brother Micah at the Ferguson Center at the University of Alabama. For those of you who don't know this man, he is a Bible thumping traveling preacher who twists the word of God into his own sick translations. Want to see a video clip?



Here is the contents of my speech. The Bible verses quoted are from the New International Version (NIV).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I am a sinner, but I am also a Christian. My name is John Wesley Mason-Smith and I have been born and raised a Methodist in Alabama. I have a few things I would like to say.

First:

Matthew 7.1-2, 5 Pg. 1264 – DO NOT JUDGE


"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judges and with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.

"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye. "

I spoke to this man earlier and he claims he has no sin. He claims he has confessed his sin to Jesus and is now pure, quoting a story in the Bible about a woman caught in the act of Adultery. Jesus stated, "He who has no sin may cast the first stone." I would like to read the END of that story, which this man has chosen to ignore.

John 8.7,10-11 Pg. 1389 – JESUS FORGIVES AND DOES NOT THROW STONE

"When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.”

"Jesus straightened up and asked her, 'Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?'

"“No one, sir,” She said.

"'Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.'"

Jesus had ABSOLUTELY no sin, but even he did not throw a stone. He showed compassion and forgiveness. Even if this man WAS free of sin, if he is a Christian he would through no stones, deliver no insults, and hate his fellow man.

1 Corinthians 4.3-5 1477 – DO NOT JUDGE EVEN YOURSELF

"I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore, judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in the darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God."

This man cannot be judged, not even by himself, until he has lived out his entire life. Time is for the convenience of HUMANS and means nothing to God. He claims his sins are forgiven, but HE IS NOT INNOCENT.

2 Corinthians 11: 13-15 1504 – THOSE WHO DO ARE SATANS SERVANTS

"For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve."


If this man had claimed to be a Atheist and said the same things, he would not have been able to push as many people from the love of God. The God this man speaks of is not the caring, loving, MAGNIFICENT and FORGIVING God I have grown to fall in love with. This man speaks of a spiteful, angry, hating God. (This wasn't in my speech, but doesn't that sound like Satan?)
(He then claims I am not reading real scripture from the bible. I stated, "Read it yourself" and crumpled up the paper and threw it at him.)

Sir, I have one last thing to say to you.
GET BEHIND ME SATIN.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After this, I walked away and didn't look back to see how he responded, but I heard him say that I must have been a Homosexual. Sorta made me laugh, actually. Was he really that desperate? Not only that, but I said at the beginning that I was a sinner, so being a Homosexual doesn't make a big difference. And I was on the way to my Girlfriend's dorm.

Now, after all that, I want you to know I am not mad at the guy, but I do feel sorry for him. I'd like to request that everyone who reads this would pray for this man, as I believe he is being used as a tool for Satan and needs all the help he can get. Clearly he has some very skewed theology....