Monday, December 17, 2007

DVDs don't play in Windows

Two weeks ago, I attended a "Dirty Santa" party. Wee. I ended up winning a DVD set of Alfred Hitchcock's first 50 or so moves (most of them are under 20 minutes and black and white without sound). Once again, wee.

Anywho, I got home from work earlier this evening and decided to pop it in the old laptop and check it out. Dum de dum dum...

Hmmm... "Windows Media Player cannot play this format." Odd. I remember playing DVD's in the past... Apparently, when I reinstalled Windows XP, I also uninstalled the DVD codecs that came with the computer. No big deal, right? I'll just reinstall them. WRONG. It ends up, if you go to the Window's Codec page, the cheapest deal you can get is about $14. Microsoft seriously expected me to pay $14 to play a DVD that I already bought. Screw that! After some googling, I found this software that lets you play every video and audio format imaginable. For free. Sweet.

Microsoft, what is wrong with you?

~jw

P.S. The picture of the DVD rewinder is from Google Images. I thought it was funny.
P.S.S. If you missed the link(s):
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx#DVDDecoder
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm